Interview with Carmen Magallón, WILPF/ minister for Peace, Spain, Aug’23
• A ministry has the power to set in motion a vision-driven programme. What is your vision for peace?
Peace is a universal good. Peace is a culture. The culture of peace
requires the elimination of all kinds of violence: wars, structural violence,
Building culture of peace needs action from government and citizens, women and men. My guide is feminist experience, the historical legacy of
women who revolutionized culture without killing.
• What actions towards the citizenry?
– A national poll, to find out current mentality; generate public debate:
the question: “ Is building a culture of peace in
our country; in the world an objective worthy of the efforts of
government; citizens? What ideas can you come up with?”
– Supporting cultural projects (films, theatre, AI) that raise awareness and
knowledge of the history of women peacemakers
– Against gender-based violence, working with adolescents: You can
assert masculinity from other challenges, it is not weapons and
domination that will make you a man
• What actions within the government?
– Monthly meeting of ministries to detecting & acting against violences
– Mobilise the countrys diplomacy to push for ceasefires; negotiations in ongoing wars
– Work for the elimination of the veto in the UN-Security Councel
• What to ask cities to build a culture of peace?
– Supporting daily tasks of care
– Encourage relationships in the face of individualism, build
– Tackle loneliness
• Any concrete measure for peace
Asking for collaboration of people who generate mimicry: tick-tockers,
footballers, singers, bloggers…
Her kan du laste månedens fredsminister ned som pdf: CarmenMagallón_MinisterOfPeace_aug’23